Director, Mobile Engineering
SoFi is looking for a passionate Engineering Director to lead a team of talented mobile software engineers to help shape and drive the future of SoFi’s mobile platform. Candidates should possess experience in object-oriented programming and derive joy from delivering their work to customers in short, high-feedback cycles. You will think critically to develop the SoFi apps for iPhone, iPad, or Android. The Mobile Director is responsible for the project planning of the mobile platform and team management and leadership throughout the engineering lifecycle, including: gathering and prioritizing requirements, and working closely with other groups to ensure goals are met.
By joining SoFi, you’ll become part of a forward-thinking company that is transforming financial services. Ranked as one of the fastest growing fin tech companies, we look forward to having strong talents joining our team. We offer the excitement of a rapidly growing startup with a strong leadership team.
SoFi is a new kind of finance company taking a radical approach to lending, wealth management and insurance. From unprecedented products and tools to faster service and open conversations, we’re all about helping our members get ahead and find success. Whether they’re looking to buy a home, save money on student loans, ascend in their careers, or invest in the future, the SoFi community works to empower our members to accomplish the goals they set and achieve financial greatness as a result. Having raised nearly $2 billion in funding since 2011 and boasting over 500,000 members and 1,400 employees, SoFi’s future is bright.
- Manage a team of 20+ Mobile Engineers
- Develop employees and help them grow within the organization.
- Resolve employee-related issues professionally and with the help of business partners
- Effectively communicate, and enforce goals and objectives, feedback, measurable, and improvement plans
- Monitor and understand the key metrics governing the mobile product area, with an eye toward continuously improving them through ongoing product innovation
- Establish product delivery timelines
- Work on multiple major projects of the highest complexity requiring forefront-of-the-field, innovative solutions.
- Consistently demonstrates extremely high levels of technical knowledge, ingenuity and creativity. Develops and applies advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts. Broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of specialty. Widely recognized as a technical expert within the professional community. Accomplishments contribute to state of the art field in the of expertise both within and outside the lab.
- Work cross functionally with other teams to help make their features fully accessible to all users. This role offers a unique chance to touch virtually every feature in SoFi's Android or iOS application.
- Work within the Engineering team to develop features that specifically benefit our users.
- Develop, modify and unit test software applications in local, networked, or Internet-based software programs.
- Must be able to deliver high quality code on schedule, communicate with groups in and outside the development team.
- 5+ years management experience
- Passion and expertise for tools and technology
- Experience working in a collaborative coding environment, refining designs together, working through code reviews and managing pull requests
- 5 – 10 years of experience in mobile programming and mobile architecture
- Previous experience building mobile applications with rich UI and great UX
- Love for building mobile applications and detailed knowledge of Android or iOS
- Top-notch programming skills in an object-oriented language like Java/Kotlin or Objective-C/Swift
- Experience in using REST services (JSON/XML)
- Understanding of HTTP/S and web-based application architecture
- Passion for delivering the best user experience possible on mobile
- Relational Database knowledge including SQL programming.
- Work and play well with others; SoFi is a collaborative environment
- Familiar with agile development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent from a fully-accredited college or university
- Strong Swift skills
- AlamoFire, Firebase, Cocoapods, Storyboards
- Desire to learn and use GraphQL
- Strong Kotlin skills
- Retrofit, Jackson/Gson, RxJava/RxAndroid,Glide, Firebase.
- Desire to learn and use GraphQL
Personal Attributes of the Ideal Candidate Include
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced growing company.
- Ability to drive a project from inception to completion.
- Enthusiasm for solving challenging problems.
- Team attitude: a willingness to roll up your sleeves, work with others and get stuff done.
- Strong attention to detail
- Passionate about engineering and influencing product quality
- Self-motivated with strong decision-making skills
- Strong logical & problem solving skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
Supervises a team of 20+ mobile developers